As farms have grown larger, associated farm buildings have increased in size and value.
As a result, when the large structures catch fire they prove more difficult to extinguish and the financial losses are significantly greater. Data from the Ontario Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management indicates the following structure fire incidents for the period 2008-2014:
- 2008: 184 fire incidents, $30.3 million loss
- 2009: 186 fire incidents, $25.45 million loss
- 2010: 164 fire incidents, $29.4 million loss
- 2011: 186 fire incidents, $35.96 million loss
- 2012: 136 fire incidents, $16 million loss
- 2013: 157 fire incidents, $31.8 million loss
- 2014: 150 fire incidents, $28.4 million loss
These costs include those associated with building structures, but not equipment, agricultural products or livestock. Luckily, to date, there has not been loss of human life associated with any of these fires.